All 9 art Reviews

Dante and Konami Dante and Konami

I see it what you're going for...

...and this is why I think you fall short.

This style of drawing really only works if it's "perfect" and by perfect I mean vector line work. All in all it's just not clean enough. If you really really don't want to work with the bezier pen tool (or in Illustrator) then I suggest at least going into your "Brush Options" and turning your space down to "0" that would account for alot of the "squiggliness" of the lines.

The other aspect of this is that if you're not going to use line work (and who wants to really) then you've got to have a stronger understanding of color theory. I know you used several different colors there but see how they all "blend" together especially in the top portion of the piece. Use high contrast to define your shapes rather than just slightly different colors.

If you convert your picture to greyscale you should still have very defined characters and objects in the scene.

So take those two things, splash at least a HINT of texture/lighting into the scene (even if that texture is glossy) and you're starting to move in the right direction.

Don't get discouraged! Just trying to help! Keep your chin up!

Lomps responds:

Thanks. I appreciate the helpful criticism, but I used this website called Tegaki E.
There are no brush options.
We're lucky they even give us an opacity option.
This is all hand done =(

Trip 1 Trip 1

huh

Not sure why you have/had such a shitty rating...

Love the subject matter, the only complaint I have is that for this style it seems like nice clean vector line art would really push you over the edge into "holy fucking shit" territory.

If you have no concept of color theory, you're not doing terribly....just stick with it try to research it a little. You'll only get lucky a few times before you start to drive yourself mad wondering why your colors "no longer work".

B.P.Richfield B.P.Richfield

badass

great line work great colors

reminds me of Elephantmen!!

newgroundian-comrade quake! newgroundian-comrade quake!

lovely

Great job, gorgeous line work.

My only complaint is that I wish the saturation was a little higher because the colors look ever so slightly washed out and I think as a splash page it should be completely over the top.

BUT don't get me wrong it's really great!

jouste responds:

great feedback, i actually get a lot of that comment from a few people about my stuff in general. i guess i'll have to get a little bolder with some of my colors.

thanks for the comment and grats to you on your castle crasher piece that hit the front page!

*highfives*

Loam thrush Loam thrush

gorgeous

love it, great use of simple strokes. I have trouble myself being so bold.

top notch work.

Comicompo3 page Comicompo3 page

gorgeous

absolutely awesome great colors, great line work, great poses, all around no crits from me.

Joa the Fisher Joa the Fisher

gorgeous

love the colors, something about this picture just brings me peace. love it.

AlvinHew responds:

Yeah, sometimes I feel Newgrounds needs more peace and light. I had hoped to bring a bit of that here with this piece.

Sea dragon Sea dragon

gorgeous

love the style, this has brightened my day a bit.

Renegade-Hamster responds:

Oh, good! =)

Zombicorn Zombicorn

love it

bahaha love it, permission to print off and tack to my inspiration wall?

adamkav responds:

yeah go for it, hope it inspires you